11 April 2005

10 April 2005 ...Haiku?

I.
There at the cove end,
Dreams rise, drift on smoke
A man sits idly

II.
Rusted, latched door
Corrugated metal wall
Grass grows on the stoop

III.
Air moves, leaf stirs
Thinly blossomed, buds break
Winter walks away.

In some woods near Lake of the Ozarks, I saw this nondescript corrugated metal building without a sign to indicate what it was for. On one end there was a door, infrequently used from the rust and grass that grew around it. A log lay just opposite the doorway. It was the sort of place that I'd have gone for a break to smoke, when I was a young man. I'd have sat there and puffed and reflected.

When I saw that door to that unmarked building today, it stirred the memory in me of working mornings in the south when my break would be a reflective smoke somewhere in a quiet piece of shade. I don't smoke any more and sometimes I wonder if I also don't do less of those other two things, sitting and thinking.

The memory gave birth to these three connected Haikus. Of course, I had to call my 14 year-old a couple of times with help on syllables and lines. She becomes a sort of co-author but is not responsible (and had better never even think about this sort of crutch for sitting and reflecting).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How lovely!