30 August 2008

The Greek National Tourism Office

I watch a lot of CNN -- somehow I've grown disenchanted with the BBC (except for parts of Radio 4 which, living in Spain now, I miss very much) -- but CNN International can also be both boring and repetitive. From time to time the advertisements are more compelling than the regular programming. For instance, in the wake of the Olympics the Chinese have launched a semi-tourism/awareness campaign which is wonderful, compelling, colourful and inviting. I spent five years travelling to China and since have not had much desire to go back for any extended time -- these spots are changing my mind.

On the other hand -- and there's always another one! -- the Greeks have dropped a clanger. What they ought to drop is their advertising agency. I'm not sure of the theme of the campaign, run by the Tourism Ministry, but it seems to be something like 'highlights of an amazing waste of money and time in Greece'. It is visually washed out and and out of focus and every character in it seems to suffer from a serious case of ennui! The scenes of Greece, completely pedestrian city-scapes, unattractive beaches, shallow and callow young people you wouldn't want to spend more than a few milli-seconds with, leave me more than cold, they repel me!

I promise never to go to Greece if you continue this awfulness, Greek Tourist Office/Ministry, but I promise to think about going if you will please take these things off the air and put the actors in them out of their misery! Remember what brought you here -- the Parthenon, islands, crystal seas, history, Zorba ...

No comments: